Star Fruit Upside Down cake with Orange Zest and Roasted Almonds
- 3 star fruits, thinly sliced
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- 1-1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp cointreau
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2-1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees and grease a 9-inch round baking sheet.
For the topping:
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Melt the butter.
- Once butter is melted, add coconut sugar.
- When sugar dissolves, add star fruit.
- Saute for 5 minutes, until star fruit is softened and coated.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Once cooled, arrange star fruit slices on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour extra sauce on top.
For the batter:
- Cream butter and coconut sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and almond extract.
- Slowly pour in cointreau, orange juice and orange zest.
- Mix until combined. At this point, the batter might appear slightly curdled. That’s fine.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sea salt and vanilla powder.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir.
- Add the rest of the dry into the wet. Stir until just combined. The batter will be thick, almost cookie-dough-esque.This is a good thing.
- Pour the batter on top of the sauteed star fruit slices.
- Bake cake for 30-40 minutes, until cake is firm.
- Check at 30 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Let the cake cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, place a plate at the top (which will soon be the bottom) of the cake. Invert the cake onto the plate, keeping the cake firmly pressed until completely loosened.
- Arrange any sticky bits back onto the top of the cake.