- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 kg Mangosteen
- 1 cup – 1,5 cup (250ml – 375ml) cold water (in case of need)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2,5ml) lime juice
- Combine the sugar and water over low heat to make a syrup. Bring the liquid to boil for 3 more minutes then set aside to cool. You can also put it on a large bowl of ice water or chill it in the fridge while doing the next steps.
- Rinse the Mangosteen then open with a paring knife. If you like to do it in a traditional way, we can simple press it firmly with 2 hands until a crack appears on the shell. Take out all of white flesh.
- Note: Be careful not to stain yourself with the fibres from the shell (easily washable if taken care of quickly).
- Press the white flesh through your finger to remove the seed. The seeds are often found in the bigger segments of the fruit, the smaller segments are usually seedless. However, it’s better to check in case you miss it.
- Blend the white pulp with a hand blender or a food processor. Then top up the puree with cold water until you get 2,5 cup (625ml)
- Mix the puree, syrup, lime juice together then freeze the mixture for 3 hours. Use a tablespoon to crush the ice forming inside the mixture, then freeze again. Repeat this step every 1,5 - 2 hours for 2 - 3 more times to have a smooth mixture.