- 2 big mangoes (ripe)
- Mustard seeds
- Asafetida (a pinch)
- 1 red chili cut into 3 bits
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
Masala to grind:
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut fresh/frozen
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. tamarind paste
- 2-3 red chilies
- Salt to taste
- jaggery for taste
- Grind coconut, tamarind paste, jaggery, red chillies and mustard seeds by adding little water and make a paste. The paste should be thick and not runny.
- Peel the mangoes, deseed them and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Put the chopped mangoes in a big bowl , salt and toss well. Add the ground masala paste and mix well. Prepare the seasoning/tadka: Heat oil in a thick bottom pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, add the curry leaves, then asafetida, red chillies and mix well.
- Add this tadka the mango coconut mixture and mix. Cover with lid.
- Let it sit at least for 2-3 hours before serving.
- This can be served with rotis/phulkas or as an accompaniment with rice.
Variations: If using small ripe variety, use whole mango by peeling the skin.v