JUJUBE RICE CAKE
Notes: Rice flour can be bought frozen, or you can take soaked (8-12hrs) glutinous rice to a rice cake house and they will ground it for you. Any excess flour not used must be stored frozen.
- 5 cups glutinous rice flour*
- 400g jujubes, cooked soft, with liquid (100g dried jujubes plus 3 cups water)
- 1/4 cup makgeolli
- 1/4 cup sugar/brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- Press the cooked jujubes through a strainer into a pot to remove the seeds and skin. Cook the jujubes puree on medium heat until most of the water is evaporated and until it turns into a thick paste, about 10 minutes. Cool the paste by putting the pot immediately in bowl of cold water.
- In a large bowl, mix salt and sugar into the rice flour. Add the jujubes paste. Rub the paste with your fingers into the rice flour until it is incorporated evenly.
- Add makgeolli, a bit at a time, while mixing it in with your fingers. It’s important to add a little bit at a time as the amount will vary depending on how much moisture is added from the jujubes paste. The mix may look dry, but it is just right when you squeeze some with your hands and the mix just comes together then easily breaks into coarse powder.
- Pass the rice flour mix through fine sieve (about 1-2mm) pressing lightly with your fingers. Repeat 2-3 times to get a light, sandy powder consistency.
- In a medium dim-sum bamboo steamer (about 25cm diameter) with the bottom lined with mesh or cloth, sprinkle the rice powder evenly until the bamboo steamer is filled. Level the top with a knife or ruler to even the surface. Dust off excess powder off the edges of the bamboo steamer.
- Prepare a large steamer with boiling water. Line the steamer with kitchen cloth (like a cheese cloth) on the bottom. When the cake is ready to be put in the steamer, wipe off excess water from the lid and wrap the lid with a large cloth and tied at the handle in the center. Place the cake in the steamer, close the lid tightly, and steam for 15 minutes (starting from when water is boiling again).
- Carefully remove the bamboo steamer from the steamer. To remove the cake, place a plate on top bamboo steamer and flip. Then take a plate on top of the cake and flip again.
- Decorate the cake with cut jujubes and pumpkin seeds.