- 2 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Boil 1 cup water.
- Combine all of the wet ingredients in a bowl and with the mixer on medium slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and blend, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Then add 1 cup boiling water and continue to mix.
- Pour into cupcake molds and then bake for 10-12 minutes. Do not overcook these cupcakes or they’ll become dry.
Meringue Dragon Fruit Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/4 cup blended dragon fruit
- teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
To Make the Frosting:
- Add the sugar and the egg whites into a heatproof mixing bowl.
- Fit the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until the mixture is hot,
- sugar is dissolved and the egg whites are a little frothy. About 4 minutes. It should
- look like a shiny marshmallow cream.
- With the whisk attachment, beat eggs on medium speed until cooled and thicker for
- about 5 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment and one at a time, add in one stick of room
- temperature butter beating until smooth. On medium speed, add in the dragon fruit
- juice and vanilla bean extract. If the buttercream curdles or separates, just keep beating
- until it comes back together. You should end up with a shiny, smooth and absolutely
- delicious buttercream frosting!