Custard apple and coconut semifreddo
adapted from Taste.com.au’s custard apple ice-cream
- 2 large custard apples
- 300ml thickened cream
- 125ml milk
- 80g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbs vodka
- 200ml coconut cream
- toasted shredded coconut, to serve.
- Peel and de-seed custard apples and cut or break flesh into pieces, being careful to remove any grainy sections.
- Heat the cream and milk in a saucepan until almost boiled. Meanwhile, whisk the sugar and yolks together until thick and pale. Pour the hot cream over the eggs, whisking continuously. Return to the saucepan and stir over low heat until custard has thickened. Stir coconut cream through, then set aside to cool.
- Stir the custard apple flesh (**Edit: and vodka!) through and pour into loaf tin lined with plastic wrap and freeze.
- To serve, remove parfait from tin. You may need to dip the base of the tin into warmed water to help the parfait release. Slice and serve with toasted coconut.